- First, you need to install R from here.
- Next, install Rstudio from here.
- There's very good documentation on Rstudio here. Learning a few shortcuts and understanding syntax highlighting can make your life much easier.
- First, make sure you can open your data in a spreadsheet program like Excel or OpenOffice.
- If there are multiple tables or "sheets", identify the most important ones, and think about how you might combine several tables together into a single table.
- From your spreadsheet program, select "Save as" and save the spreadsheet as a CSV (comma-separated value) file.
- Finally, load the CSV file using Rstudio ( nice instructions here).
For class, please download this R script and data file to the same directory.